Sunday, September 7, 2008

Alternative Dispute Resolution Tool Box and Breast Cancer

Alternative Dispute Resolution is my passion. It is a skill set I have strengthened and honed over the last 9 years. Alternative Dispute Resolution includes the following: mediation, negotiation, conciliation and arbitration. However, it is not these elements that have helped me as I and T battled breast cancer, it is the skill set that is needed to be a efficient ADR professional.

  • Active Listening
  • Asking Clarifying Questions
  • Encouraging the other party to talk, to describe the problem
  • Clarify the persons description of the problem
  • Rephrase their statements-show you understand and can grasp the concept or idea they are trying to convey
  • Ask questions and invite the other party ask questions
  • Provide feedback and ask for feedback
  • Be honest
  • Be tolerant
  • Be open to new ideas and views
  • Acknowledge the other persons perspective
  • COMMUNICATE WITH A PURPOSE
  • Consult with others when planning to communicate
  • Consider the timing, setting and social climate
  • Be aware of your tone, expression, voice volume
  • Humor
  • Know what you want
  • Look for the common goal
  • Ensure your actions support your communications
  • Transfer yourself
  • Communicate for today and tomorrow
  • Be accountable
  • Manage your pride
  • Self-mediation
  • Five-second Rule

This is a skill set , I have honed and perfected over the years. This skill set has helped me to to gain and keep personal and professional relationships. This skill set was the foundation for my business Opn-door Communications. This skill set helped me with my mother's medical challenges. This skill set was going to help me mediate the biggest conflict of my life: Breast Cancer!

No comments: