Sunday, September 7, 2008

Black, Beautiful and Bald

I finally decided to go bald. I had T call his barber and he made an appointment.

Early when I was diagnosed , my plan was to go to my hair dresser and bring a bottle of wine and make a big production out of it.

However , after 5 surgeries and one round of chemo, I was just ready to cut it off.

Well I went to T's barber by myself. Now you may wonder why T did not go with me. I am not sure why, but it did not matter, sometimes a sistah got to man up and do the damn thing by herself!

So I went and Ed the barber started to cut. He asked if I wanted to leave a little on. I was like nope lets do the damn thing. So he cut it all off. All of it.

I felt funny. I felt really funny. I looked at in his mirror and than in the mirror in my car.

I went straight home and showed T.

I did not cry at first. Than I cried a little. I looked exotic! Did not look bad at all.

But I had to get used to it.

I had scheduled a mediation and decided I would go. So I did!

I felt funny again. Like everyone was looking at me, because I was bald. It was a strange feeling so I decided that I would tell you upfront: " I am bald , because I have cancer and chemo was taking it out! "

1 comment:

StandAndi said...

Hey, Vick. I am engrossed in reading about the challenges of dealing with being bald when you have always had hair. I feel ya on not wearing a wig. I don't know if I would feel like myself while wearing a wig. But then I guess, "Feeling like yourself" takes on all new meaning in a circumstance like this. None the less, have you ever worn a African head wrap? I, of course, saw you at the Women's Political Group Presidential issues forum and I thought you were absolutely adorable just as you are. Black, Beautiful and Bald; Short, Sassy and Shaven! Ha ha ha.

Andrea