Friday, July 4, 2008

Major Impact

I still was smarting over the advice I got about the choice between mastectomy and the re-excision. I do not know why it bothered me so much.

It seemed that folks took it personal when I was weighing about cutting my breast off. Like it was their TATA that was being poked and cut. Not mine.

Now what about my new gig. Remember I got a new gig, but I did not expect to have more surgeries.

So I had to tell them what was going on. I had to let them in on the Big BC. My new supervisor was kind about it. But she could not move my start date. So the deal was if I wanted to start I had to show up. There was also the small little thing: FML A .

The FMLA is the Family Medical Leave ACT which provides the following: The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides an entitlement of up to 12 weeks of job-protected, unpaid leave during any 12-month period to eligible, covered employees for the following reasons: 1) birth and care of the eligible employee's child, or placement for adoption or foster care of a child with the employee; 2) care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition; or 3) care of the employee's own serious health condition. It also requires that employee's group health benefits be maintained during the leave. The FMLA is administered by the Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division within the U.S. Department of Labor.

Now the the issue here with the new job was as follows. As an at will employee, I would have to have been there 12 months consecutively to be covered under FMLA and also I would be an at will employee. Which means they could let me go at will. Not really very fun, when you are managing a chronic illness.

So right there, I got pissed again. Not at her but my luck. The luck of the draw. You see, I am the major bread winner in the family. We need my salary. I need my insurance, I cannot handle the stress of an at will gig with cancer. I am strong but I need to pull up. Re assess and reflect on how I plan to handle this.

So I sent the paperwork in and I waited to see how my recovery after this next surgery would go!

No comments: